The UFC has just wrapped up the UFC 236 pre-fight press conference which has 2 HUGE interim title fights. The card is headlined by the current featherweight champion looking to add his name to growing list of #champchamp Max Holloway against the man who defeated him back in 2012 via a round 1 submission Dustin Poirier. In addition, the co-main event consists of the man who defeated Anderson Silva less than a month ago Israel Adesanya vs the man who was fighting the champion Robert Whittaker before his unfortunate injury, Kelvin Gastelum. In this press conference, there was a lot said in regards to this fight and about the status of other fighters in UFC also including Tony Ferguson, Colby Covington, Conor Mcgregor, and Brock Lesnar. So here are the biggest talking points coming out the UFC 236 press conference:
- Dana White guarantees that the winner of Dustin Poirier and Max Hollway will face Khabib Nurmagomedov and the UFC is targeting a date in and around September for this to take place.
- Max Holloway says that once he defeats Dustin Poirier, He’ll be “ready when Khabib is back”
- Dana White says that he hasn’t talked to Brock Lesnar in a while but despite his current obligations with WWE, he does want to fight soon!
- Max Holloway states that he is still planning on going down to featherweight in the summer to defend his belt even if he wins the lightweight interim belt.
- Dana White addresses the Colby Covington situation by saying he didn’t take the fight which is why he didn’t get a title shot and that “everyone thinks I hate this kid, I don’t hate him. We talked last night. He gets it”
- Dana White confirms that he doesn’t know what to do with Tony Ferguson after he turned down an interim title fight.
- Dana White says that we are nowhere near a fight between Conor Mcgregor and Donald Cerrone despite Cerrone teasing a July date on his Instagram. White even went as far as to say they are looking for other opponents for him right now.
Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening Everybody! I am the owner and creator of MMA Online and the Instagram page ufc_news_official which has over 19,000 followers! I am a Philosophy student and currently a yellow belt in kickboxing and have been a fan of MMA since 2013. I have previously written for WrestleTalk and MMA UK.